Brad's Reviews > Radical Sanity

Radical Sanity by Elizabeth Wurtzel

419333

bookshelves: non-fiction

I read Elizabeth Wurtzel's Radical Sanity (also published as The Bitch Rules and The Secret of Life in parallel with Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women. And, I felt as thought Sanity was the outline that inspired the lengthy, literary essays in Bitch. Where the essays in Bitch stretch on for fifty, sixty, seventy pages (all worth it), Sanity are short nuggets usually no more than two or three pages.

This isn't to say Sanity isn't worth the read. I found myself nodding along throughout the book, even though I wasn't the target audience. But, I couldn't help but think of several friends who would benefit from reading the snippets, which are less self-help rules and more self-reminders. This isn't a road map for mental and emotional health; instead, these shorts were meant to remind women, and particularly younger women, that it's important to take up space--for lots of reasons.

And while I suspect some of the advice, at least as it was presented, may not age well, I found myself asking "What advice from the past really does?" Any experience we try to pass down comes from a world that no longer exists (and, in my opinion, exists mainly so that one person can justify the actions they took at some point).

It's never a bad time to carve out a little time--and this book is less than one hundred pages so you can finish it in one sitting--and remind yourself that it's important to be present in making decisions about what you want out of life. Nothing could be more radical than that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical Sanity.

April 18, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
April 18, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 18, 2020 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 18, 2020 – Shelved as: non-fiction (Paperback Edition)
February 18, 2020 –
page 24
15.0% (Paperback Edition)
February 24, 2020 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 25, 2020 – Shelved