Navdha's Reviews > The False Prince

Apr 28, 2012

bookshelves: it-was-a-w-e-s-o-m-e, not-what-i-expected, reaallly-gooood
Read in April, 2012

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

I really hadn't expected this book to be out of the ordinary but I must admit it blew me off my feet. This is a story about a 15 year old boy named Sage who is a thief, a liar and an orphan who finds himself caught in the middle of a big plot set up by one of the regents of Court. Sage is pulled out of the orphanage he has been living in for a few years and finds himself along with three more boys from different orphanages in a carriage. All these boys have some similarities to each other physically and have no idea what they are getting into. Conner is the man in-charge and has big plans (view spoiler). One of the boys from the orphanage is killed as a threat to the other boys. Conner wants to train the boys to impersonate Prince Jaron, who is the long lost, supposedly-dead prince of the kingdom. He says his reasons are noble as he wants what is in best interests for Carthya. the King, Queen and their elder son Darius have been murdered by someone from the court and by bringing back the Prince, the kingdom would not fall prey to other power-hungry regents or be in civil war.

The main plot is interesting enough but the twists and turns are no less exciting. You would have a hunch about what the main secret could be but that's all its gonna be. You'd be surprised in the end. Sage (view spoiler) is one of my favorite characters now. He is cunning, brave, arrogant, stubborn, charming and simply awesome. I loved his comments all throughout the book. I loved how fast he could think and how he survived. I loved the fact that even though he was a thief, he was noble at heart. He knew not to trust easily but he was no killer. He could sympathize, he could plot and he was easily under-estimated. Initially I didn't think much of Tobias or Roden, the other two selected orphans to imitate Prince Jaron for life. But later, even their characters played a big part. Tobias seemed to be over-confident and too sure of himself but in reality he was just a coward and could be easily mended into anyone's will. But he was loyal to the Kingdom and obviously didn't deserve the fate that was otherwise chosen for him by Conner if he failed to be the Prince. Roden was eager to learn and impress. He wanted to be the Prince real bad because he could think of nothing better to do with his life. He did not understand the complexities of being a royal nor did he realize how his life wouldn't be his to control anymore. He could not see through Connor's plans and could only see what was best for him. Connor was a shrewd mind and he did have everything sorted out. Mott was the only one who somehow understood Sage and who admired his tactics. Imogen felt like a useless addition to me to be frank. I really liked how the ending was and how everything played out.

I totally loved this book. I'm going to be eagerly waiting for the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Prince.

04/28/2012 page 220
64.0% "I really love it so far. If I wouldn't have been so tired last night I would've finished it off. I love Sage!"