Bookbeaver's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Apr 28, 2012

it was ok

I'm sorry, I don't get it. Everyone raves about this book. It claimed this year's Tournament of Books. And I still don't get it. Is it a literary novel due to its lack of literary-ness? Is it supposed to be clever? In the sense that Ken Sparling's "dad says he saw you at the mall" was, actually, clever. Comic? In the sense that David J. Rosen's "I Just Want My Pants Back" was, actually, comic. It's not clever or comic in the way Brautigan was both. And it's certainly not hard-hitting like anything by Pete Dexter, or challenging like, well, insert your favorite challenging novelist here. It fails much like that other DeWitt's ToB entry "Lightning Rods" did, although to this deWitt's credit this was, slightly, better written. Having given up on "Lightning Rods" 50-some pages in, I was determined to finish this one, although, at time, I must admit to feeling somewhat insulted by the lack of weight to this lightweight western. It certainly didn't feel real.
So now I've read five of this year's ToB entries and all this does is make a stronger case for "The Art of Fielding."
Again, I'm sorry, but this winner is a loser.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.