Katherine's Reviews > A Game of You

A Game of You by Neil Gaiman

Apr 28, 2012

bookshelves: owned, favorites
Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I finished A Game of You really quickly because first: It freaking hypnotized me! I mean I know I loved Sandman but I had forgotten how much it just takes me somewhere else and releases me from reality (in a very Very good way!). And second: because I loved the parallel stories in it.

I've said it back in my day (although not that the internet knows) that Gaiman is an absolute genius and I really missed being parted with the King of Dreams but A Game of You awakened something in me that I forgot I could feel. I immediately went to get The Graveyard Book and American Gods (as much as I can buy at the moment) to have more of his work available to me. When I first started reading The Sandman I didn't know Neil had books too. So this is fantastic! Sorry sorry...back to A Game of You!

I was really please with seeing Hazel and Foxglove again! By a little mistake of mine I read the Death issue in which they appear before reading A Game of You and I thought I would never see them again but...here they were! In reverse order like my two personal River Songs! So it really felt nice coming back to them. Also to Barbie, every time I think of the brilliancy of her character and of how she is not always really what you expect but still fulfills what she is (if that makes any sense) makes me love her ridiculously too much!

Okay this is suppose to be a review not fan-girl screaming about the characters. Maybe I'm not the best reviewer for things that get me so much because I haven't been able to get over Wanda's death entirely (it is like 24 hours since I've read it) and that is overlapping with other deaths in other books...

Anyway, to conclude this really weird and probably completely inappropriate commentary on A Game Of You I will end in a rather cheesy note (just to put the cherry on top of the ice-cream) by saying that the way Neil Gaiman manages to involve fantasy, horror, a little bit of gore and drama even romance into his stories and give full, lovable and unique characters is not only admirable but magical.

The Sandman is terribly special for me and since the beginning has felt like home. Literary genius or not, it's like Gaiman and the magnificent illustrators of the series actually opened a little door into the Dreamworld that we all already know and recognize with some obscure and subconscious part of our minds...!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of You.