Lev Rothenberg's Reviews > The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health

The China Study by T. Colin Campbell

M 50x66
Apr 28, 2012

Read in April, 2012

The chief premise of this book is that our nutritional intake is by far the most important variable in our health and that the healthiest of all diets is a diet of whole plant based foods a vegan diet. According to this well respected scientist proper nutrition and prevent and reverse almost all diseases - cancer, heart disease, diabetes...

So do I buy this? This is a difficult question. The book is full of scientific evidence and anecdotes, but scientists disagree and anecdotes are very unreliable.

If T. Colin Campbell is correct, then why isn't the vegan diet more common? Well -
1. There is HUGE money behind maintaining our meat-eating, refined sugar, dairy nutritional status quo. Is it possible that HUGE money can impact the way that our society acts even to the detriment of our society? Duh!
2. The medical world is mich more attuned to drugs and surgery than nutrition. Once again, HUGE money and also people who believe what they have been trained. If the governement says that it is ok for 30% of calories to come from fat and if your doctor is of that opinion, well, then, won't most of us believe it?
3. People don't want to change their habits. They like hamburgers, soda and milk.

What impact will this have on me? I will be more aware of my eating options. I will eat more salad, fruits, honey and a variety of whole plant based foods. I will not go vegan, or even vegetarian, but I will be more aware of what I am eating. It only makes sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The China Study.