Books 'n' All Promotions's Reviews > Guide Star

Guide Star by Joy Ellis

bookshelves: joffe-books, audiobooks
Read 3 times. Last read February 23, 2020 to February 26, 2020.

My very first audiobook and by default my first audiobook review so I will start by saying I don't have anything to compare it to so this is completely unbiased and my own personal opinion.

Stella is a successful detective, happy with her life until she wakes up in hospital. She is lucky to be alive but was shot in the head and side so she has brain damage and a long road to physical recovery and an even longer one to mental wellbeing.

Her life as it was is in shreds she can no longer do the job she loves and is mad at the world. Taking it out on her friends and family is not helping. At her wits end Stella's grandmother. Beth, picks up the phone and rings the one person who may be able to help but the one person who will crack open the break in her heart. But she will do anything for Stella.

As the tag line says this book is an emotional rollercoaster but not so much in the romantic sense. It follows a young woman's struggle to rebuild her life and it is told with such compassion and knowledge it had me in tears at times and smiling at other times.

As Stella struggles to find the way forward she contacts her old Urbexing friend, Tom. Now urbexing is something I knew nothing about so I was immediately drawn in to learn more. Photographing decaying buildings to capture something that will be slightly different every time is, I felt, amazing. The idea of having a physical record of wonderful old buildings preserved for future generations must be so rewarding and this brought a new level of interest to the story.

I loved the narration I think the narrator 'got' the accents perfectly especially Michael - not German not English but something that worked perfectly. Also the other characters each voice slightly different. I thought it all worked brilliantly.

5 stars for the awesome writing and 5 stars for the audio - A very enjoyable book in every way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guide Star.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
April 25, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
February 23, 2020 – Started Reading