Fanatique Francaise's Reviews > Last Man in Tower

Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga

Apr 28, 2012

liked it

Adiga returns with a powerful, well-researched, and gripping novel about the underside of India.

I think I'm too young and inexperienced to really grasp the dark and almost scary picture that Adiga creates of Mumbai (India's industrial hub), but thankfully for me, he manifests that very chaos in the lives of the inhabitants of a building about to be torn down by a builder in his extravagant plans for expansion.. The conflict experienced by the inhabitants who are reluctant to let go of their lives in the building, yet tempted by the offer made by the builder is something that I enjoyed reading about, and could draw some semblance of a metaphor from.

What I loved most was how a simple conflict of interests transforms into something a lot darker and sinister as the story progresses. The climax is well, almost expected, yet what disturbed me a bit was the carelessness the author treats it with. He treats is an inevitable event, which is fair enough, yet he refuses to give it enough attention and drama- treating it exactly how the city of Mumbai may have.

Worth a read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Man in Tower.