Morgan's Reviews > Queen's Shadow

Queen's Shadow by E.K. Johnston

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-ve-read-in-2020

I struggled to decide what to rate this, because while I liked some aspects of it, there were others that I...didn't. So I'm calling this 2 1/2 stars, solidly in the middle.

I liked seeing Padme transition to the role of senator. I liked seeing her learn how to navigate galactic politics, find allies, discover how to help others and do charitable work from a new arena. I liked seeing how she became friends with Bail Organa and I enjoyed seeing the inner workings of a decoy swap. I also liked how it was important to her to try to free Anakin's mother, even though I know ultimately it worked out differently. However.

Is it not possible for people to have very close yet entirely platonic relationships anymore? It was strongly implied that two of Padme's handmaidens had a thing for each other, just as there were moments that it was implied that (at least on Sabe's side of things), the relationship between Padme and Sabe might not have been entirely platonic. It was never completely explicit in either case, and it wasn't constant either, which is why I didn't stop reading (that, and I really did enjoy the political aspects of the novel), but it was still stupid and unnecessary, felt untrue to the characters, and read like Disney gave the author a PC checklist and she sprinkled in just enough implications to satisfy it. That, and there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of female characters. Very rarely was there a male character introduced who didn't already exist onscreen. But lots of female characters. And I'm a girl, so I feel like I can complain about it. Yes, I want female characters. But that doesn't mean nearly all the male characters need to die or vanish (like they did in The Last Jedi).

So all things considered, I guess I'm glad I did give the Disney EU a shot, and head hopping aside, E.K. Johnston is an okay writer, but, well, would I recommend this book? I doubt it. Will I read any more Disney EU books? It's unlikely. I might consider Ahsoka, but I'm doing more research first. Because when it comes right down to it, Legends is better and is always going to be. Now to dive into the stack of Jedi Apprentice books I got from the library. (Well, after I read Precisely Terminated, since it's due first, though I'm slightly concerned about the extreme number of deaths my mom and sisters report in it😉.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen's Shadow.

February 21, 2020 – Started Reading