Emily's Reviews > The Ring of Solomon

The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud

Apr 28, 2012

bookshelves: audio, characters-i-wish-i-knew, fantasy, good-for-boys, outside-u-s-a, ya-fiction, yalsa-challenge-2012, 2012-reading-challenges
Read in April, 2012

Why I picked it up: I listened to the other Bartimaeus books and was excited to read another book with the sarcastic, wise-cracking Djinn.

Bartimaeus is working for one of the magicians who is among King Solomon’s counselors. King Solomon has a powerful, magical ring that can do wonderful and terrible things, and many wish to get the ring from Solomon, with or without taking his life as well. One of those who seeks the ring is young Asmira, a guard for the queen of Sheba. The queen has been threatened by one of Solomon’s servants and sends Asmira to kill Solomon and get the ring so that he can not use it against Sheba. Asmira and Bartimaeus meet in the course of both filling out their orders.

Bartimaeus is an absolutely wonderful, memorable, original character. I am thrilled to have another adventure with him. As with the original trilogy, the best parts of the book are those told from Bartimaeus’s perspective. He is wise-cracking and rude and just plain fun. I was glad to see Faqual back, as since this was a prequel I assuemd Bartimaeus was the only character I would know from the original series. I grew to like Asmira, though I wasn’t sure about her in the beginning. I especially liked the second half of the book.

A word about the audio: I love that this is read by the same reader as the other Bartimaeus books. I just don’t think Bartimaeus would be as wonderful to me without Simon Jones behind him. A great listen.

Contains: very veiled innuendo

Jessica's Scavenger Hunt: Person in disguise

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ring of Solomon.