Christina Carter's Reviews > Mamie on the Mound: A Woman in Baseball's Negro Leagues

Mamie on the Mound by Leah  Henderson

Leah Henderson gives the reader an informative introduction to Mamie Johnson’s journey to playing Negro League Baseball. From her love of the sport in her early childhood to playing professionally as a pitcher for three seasons with the Negro League in the early 1950s.

Mamie “Peanut” Johnson’s story is one that will inspire students to pursue their dreams, athletic or otherwise. The obstacles she faced would not stop her. She kept pressing forward, even when she (and other Black baseball players) were rejected by the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. The organization’s name then was a misnomer if, in fact, they did not mean for their league to include ALL women. “All was still not equal.” As a woman, I can applaud their efforts to create a platform for women baseball players but as a Black woman, I wish they would have known what it meant to be an ally in the fight for equality. Still, Mamie Johnson persisted-to the point of success on the pitcher’s mound and beyond.

This is a book I can’t wait to share with my students. Thank you to the organizers of the Multicultural Children’s Book Day (Co-Founders: Valerie Budayr and Mia Wenjen) for providing us with a copy. It has been added to our K-5 library for our staff and students to enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mamie on the Mound.

February 23, 2020 – Started Reading