Rain Misoa's Reviews > Sweetly

Apr 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fairy-tales
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Recommended for: People who love fairy tale re-tellings and not a lot of action.

Another okay book from Miss Pearce. I like it... although it is not as good as Sisters Red was. The writing was okay. The story was sadly lacking. The characters were decent. It was just an okay read. I felt that throughout most of the book, nothing really took place. It was a lot of trying to figure things out without actually doing anything. The characters themselves were nothing special. Mind you, they weren't bad. They just didn't seem that interesting. Gretchen, main character, got on my nerves a bit in the beginning but then she slowly eased up. Samuel, love interest, started off as your typical YA bad boy then he turned into a nice person who was in love... I thought he was dull. Ansel, Gretchen's brother, did nothing throughout the entire book. All he did was fix things... whoo. Sophia, girl they meet in a candy shop, was just... blah. Most of the characters did nothing for me. However, that doesn't mean it was a bad book. It still was interesting at times. Like when the worlds of Sisters Red and Sweetly crossed, I was truly excited. And there are a few action scenes that took place that made the book pick up quite nicely. In all honesty, this book probably deserves a two... but I really respect Pearce and I've read worse YA novels in the past that I feel a two is being a bit too harsh. Either way, give this book a chance, especially if you like fairy tale re-tellings. You might find yourself enjoying it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetly.

April 28, 2012 – Started Reading
April 28, 2012 – Shelved
page 1
0.32% "And now for the last Jackson Pearce book I shall read for a while. I know she has more work but this is all I could get my hands on. Another retelling. This one is of Hansel and Gretel. I wonder if this will be any better than Sisters Red. We shall see."
page 6
1.94% "Ah, just like in Sisters Red, the opening for Sweetly is intriguing/exciting. Although... this book is going to be hard for me to read. What with it being about candy and chocolate. *Groans* I did not think this through. XP"
page 8
2.58% "Ooooooo~~~ I want to go to Tennessee... only because I freaking want to go to White Castle! That's the closest one to where I live! DX"
page 14
4.52% "What? Already? Jackson, you seem to be VERY fond of instalove. -_-" Why would you do that? *Sighs* If you keep this up, I won't be able to read anymore of your future books. *Narrows eyes*"
page 17
5.48% "Great... Gretchen is an attention whore also... this is off to a fantastic start. *Tempted to run before she gets too deep into the book*"
page 21
6.77% "First chapter done. So far it's just... meh. I'm not really too into the story as of yet. Gretchen is annoying me a bit and Ansel is... well, he hasn't done anything yet so he's neither here nor there for me... but it's still early in the book so things might get better in just a little bit! ^_^"
page 23
7.42% "Doggy! <33333 I like puppies~"
page 26
8.39% "Ew... this is rather disgusting to read about... there's just too much chocolate! *Gets shot*"
page 27
8.71% "Heh... Gretchen likes to read. Seems to be a good quality. Let's see if she has anymore... though... I have a feeling she's not going to be that amazing... -3-"
page 32
10.32% "Is she stupid or what!? You NEVER eat anything that a stranger gives you. You have no idea what they could have put into that food. Especially since this is most likely the witch's doing. *Nods*"
page 40
12.9% "Pearce already used this in her last book. The "sisters being one" thing. It was interesting the first time around... now it seems like something she is using to fall back on because she doesn't have any new ideas. *Sighs* I sure hope I am wrong about this."
page 42
13.55% ""There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." - Nietzsche This quote, though I know nothing of the philosopher himself, is relateable to me."
page 43
13.87% "Seriously, how could ANYONE eat macaroni and cheese!? It's like eating nothing but toe jam, farts, and shit in a bowl! Plus, it's so unhealthy. DX"
page 55
17.74% "You guys should just get out of there quickly. I love the forest. I do... but... that one has something neither of you are ready for."
page 60
19.35% "No! Don't eat it! It's poison! In more ways than one! DX Don't eat the chocolate covered chip!"
page 66
21.29% "When everyone knows your name, you should definitely consider getting the fuck out of that town as quickly as possible! Also, don't go to Augusta. There's nothing there. -_-""
page 71
22.9% "First, I misread Ansel as Angeal. *Stabs self in the eyes* Next, not a lot is happening yet, I'm slightly bored but there is something up with that shell so... soon? I hope..."
page 85
27.42% "Finally! Something is happening!!! But a wolf? Sisters Red wolf? O_o Well then... this should be interesting."
page 87
28.06% "Samuel Reynolds... definitely related to Silas from Sisters Red... and look! Werewolves! Ha! Connections!!!"
page 90
29.03% "Yay... typical bad boy image... why am I NOT excited? -_-""
page 97
31.29% "Great... she's going to go chasing after a guy. DX"
page 105
33.87% "Pff! Sanity is overrated."
page 120
38.71% "Little things keep popping up but... nothing of true value has happened. Gretchen knows how to shoot and all but I am just too bored to even care. Gretchen doesn't have much of a personality and Ansel doesn't do much but work. Samuel is meh... I don't know. Where Sisters Red had a lot of action, this one is just a bunch of doing nothing."
page 127
40.97% "Dude, just say her fucking name and get it over with. Won't kill anyone because you don't say it."
page 140
45.16% "Ya think? Naida... dude, all these sisters! I can't keep up with all of them! @_@"
page 147
47.42% "Samuel was Silas's brother... OOOOHHHHHH!!! XDDDDD Also, he smexed with this Layla chick. XP Mature, that I am~ XD"
page 147
page 159
51.29% "You know... even though they call her a grumpy old woman, I like Ms. Judy. The only character I came across in the entire book that I like... and she holds valuable information... and she's manipulative... a bit eccentric... HOLY CRAP IT'S IZAYA'S GRANDMOTHER!!! *Mind Blown* XD Anyway, I like her. She's tough! >:3"
page 159
page 175
56.45% "I wonder when things are going to be revealed. This fortune teller is probably going to say something to make the story roll forward. Most of the story is just a lot of laying around, questioning things without doing much, and warnings. I'm just... bored! DX"
page 187
60.32% "Finally! Her name is finally revealed! Took her long enough. *Nods* Now... DO SOMETHING!!!"
page 196
63.23% "Then don't wear the dress. It's as simple as that, Gretchen. Speak up. That's the only way anyone will ever be able to understand you."
page 200
64.52% "Uh... it's not exactly SMART to hide from a thunder storm UNDER a TREE! But if you want to die, then by all means, continue being stupid."
page 211
68.06% ""...clacking away..." Kukuku~ That phrase has a whole new meaning thanks to Tumblr. *Snickers*"
page 218
70.32% "Yeah, but if you are not ready to hunt the Fenris, you're just going to get in the way and die. Moron. -_-""
page 220
70.97% "You know... I'm not sure how I feel about this relationship. It started off as instalove, then died down, then they did nothing, and now it's just WHAM! in your face again. :/ Oh well... it's not as annoying as I thought it would be."
page 232
74.84% "Huh... so the Fenris CAN disguise themselves as people who are still alive. Still kicking. *Nods* Sweet~"
page 235
75.81% "Aw... isn't that sweet... NEXT!"
page 242
78.06% "Yay! Everything makes sense again! Whew!"
page 256
82.58% "*Giggles* Okay, I'll admit it... this page was pretty funny. X3"
page 259
83.55% "What the hell do those shells mean? O_o"
page 259
83.55% "What the hell do those shells mean? O_o"
page 261
84.19% "Ohhhhhh... so THAT'S what those shells mean. XD Okay. Now I can keep reading without trying to guess at answers. XP"
page 263
84.84% "Oh, Sofia and Ansel... you nasty children~ >:3"
page 285
91.94% "AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!! *Coughs* We know everything now... even though I figured it out about 100 pages ago about the dress... oh well. Nearly done!"
page 289
93.23% "The idiot is yelling "Save me! Save me!" tugging on Gretchen's arm whilst she's trying to AIM a GUN at the wolf. How is she supposed to save you if you keep doing that you reject? DX"
page 304
98.06% "Well, that sucks. I feel bad for Ansel."
page 310
100.0% "And I'm finished. It was... meh. It was an okay book. But it wasn't as good as Sisters Red. I was a bit disappointed at how nothing seemed to happen throughout most of the book. Oh well. It wasn't exactly bad. Just... okay."
April 29, 2012 – Shelved as: fairy-tales
April 29, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by N.T. (new)

N.T. Embe X3 I don't think I'll bother reading it.

Rain Misoa Nah... don't. It's another case of loving the author... hating the book for me. Just skip it. I know you won't like it.

message 3: by N.T. (new)

N.T. Embe I can tell. That's why I said I wouldn't bother. BUT. OH MY GOD. NOW YOU CAN FINALLY READ Divergent WITH ME!!!!!!!!!! 8DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Rain Misoa I KNOW! I AM QUITE EXCITED FOR IT!!! I AM GOING TO START IT IN JUST A BIT! *FLAILS!*

message 5: by N.T. (new)

N.T. Embe <3 Can't wait to hear everything from you.