Jory Dayne's Reviews > Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own

Barnheart by Jenna Woginrich

Apr 28, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 28 to May 09, 2012 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barnheart.

05/09/2012 page 184

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounded interesting, but your rating seems less than favorable.

Jory Dayne Steven wrote: "This sounded interesting, but your rating seems less than favorable."

Content wise, the books wasn't that bad — it was interesting, great to read about the process of starting her own farm, the struggles of being interested in something that's sort of outside your social demographic, etc. It got more engaging towards the end, when she gets to some conflict with neighbors, and starts to looks for some permanent solutions to some of her problems, and really stands up for herself as a self-made/self-qualified farmer.

But holy hell, the writing. It was like reading the world's longest blog entry. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people (especially on blogs) constantly posture like they're "sooooo weird/random." This includes framing everything as an " addiction" or "guilty pleasure." It's just your typical smirking, painfully self-aware and affected "awwwwwkkkkard" posturing typical for most life-style bloggers. And then some hipster nonsense (referring to a band that you like by the first names of the people in it like you know them, i.e. Sam Beam instead of Iron & Wine) It was just really twee, quirky girl style writing. I found it really, really grating.

I had just come off reading Animal Vegetable Mineral by Barbara Kingsolver, and Novella Carpenter's Farm City (and those books are just such gems of the whole new farmer/young homesteader genre) and I'd definitely recommend those before this.