Doreen's Reviews > The Jewel of Medina

The Jewel of Medina by Sherry Jones

liked it

Let me get my pettiest complaint out of the way first: the cover is all wrong. A'ishah, the heroine of the piece, has red hair and green eyes, so I'm not sure who the cover is supposed to depict.

Overall, I thought Sherry Jones did a very respectful rendering of how she views the life of women in the early era of Islam. I think her narrative wasn't the smoothest (e.g. with A'isha's fight training) but I understand that she had a lot of material to cover and needed to pick and choose. I thought she made A'isha out to be a very human figure, which made her very easy to relate to, and I also think she did a pretty good job with the other figures of early Islam, making sure to depict them as other sources always have.

It was, of course, nice to see the egalitarian nature of the religion championed, even as Ms Jones shaded it to show how easily it could be taken away by the chauvinism of those surrounding the Prophet, and those who continue to do so to date. Definitely a worthwhile read, if not the most thought-provoking (at least, not for me, as I grew up with this interpretation of Islam that emphasizes social justice and personal responsibility.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of Medina.

April 27, 2012 – Started Reading
April 27, 2012 – Shelved
April 27, 2012 –
page 29
8.1% "Been interested in this for a few years now. Wary, tho, given the subject matter."
April 29, 2012 – Finished Reading