Brittany S.'s Reviews > The Wives

The Wives by Tarryn Fisher

bookshelves: 2020, adult, audiobook, mystery-thriller-suspense, read-in-one-day, to-review, wishlist-hardcover

Initial Impressions 2/20/20: 4.25 - 4.5 stars
First of all, if you want to read this book and you're willing to roll with psychological thrillers, DON'T read any reviews before you read it. (Yes, even the non-spoilery ones because they still contain small spoilers.) It's best to go in blind aside from knowing the main character is in a relationship where the husband has three wives. That's all I knew and it made the experience that much better.

This book was absolutely bonkers. There's frequently a point in pscyhchological thrillers as things are being set up where you wonder where exactly this book is crazy because it doesn't seem *too* bad... and then the world explodes. There were multiple explosions in this book and unreliable narrator action like crazy. After the tipping point, I never knew who to trust and what the hell was going on.

The book was still interesting up to that point too. The concept of multiple wives was kind of annoying and gross but it was still unusual and it had me curious to see why anyone would agree to that and how the main character would even be okay with it considering she wanted Seth all to herself. The answers pretty much blew my mind and it was way more than I was thinking, and I've read a lot of crazy psych thrillers.

This book takes you on a roller coaster ride, especially after about halfway through. I kind of like the fact that even after the book was over, I still kind of don't really know what to believe. You're led down a path that provides you with an answer but it still isn't quite wrapped up in a shiny bow. I actually kind of like it. It left me thinking about what would happen next which was neat!

So a couple of spoilery points here --> (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wives.

February 20, 2020 – Started Reading
February 20, 2020 – Shelved
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller-suspense
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: audiobook
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: adult
February 20, 2020 –
50.0% "Omg what is happening 👀"
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: read-in-one-day