Stacey's Reviews > Mice

Mice by Gordon Reece

Apr 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: library

"We're playing musical chairs now!"

Thanks to this book, that phrase has an entirely different meaning. Every time I think about it, it creeps me out.

I feel bad giving this one only three stars (and I am not usually stingy with my stars), but I guess I felt a little misled. I thought the book was going to be more centered on the bullying and the consequences - I suppose in a way it was - and therefore I wasn't expecting the plot to go the way that it did.

The other reason I felt conflicted is because I don't agree with the overall message. I want to believe that there is justice, that certain things are still wrong no matter what the circumstances, and you know, the whole "everybody gets what they deserve" theory. If you haven't read the book, that's not really a spoiler, it all depends on your perspective.

I liked the book because it got me thinking about right and wrong, and I tried to parse it down to the most basic level, but it's never that black and white, is it? It's always easy to think you know what you would do if put in a similar situation, but I'm not sure....And then could you live with the choice you made? If nothing else, this book was a made-me-wonder, so even though I didn't love it, I liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mice.

April 27, 2012 – Shelved