Linda Martin's Reviews > Lab Girl

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren

bookshelves: audiobook, 2020, gardening, hawaii, memoirs, non-fiction, maryland, georgia, science

This memoir has a lot of info-dumps, mainly about trees. If you like trees, and who doesn't, you will learn more about them by reading this memoir. The information is balanced by a gradually unfolding personal interest story of a woman who was raised visiting her father's laboratory and who needed her own to be happy. She became a botanist. Her relationship with her lab assistant is deep and long-lasting, so he occupies a lot of the action in this book.

I listened to the audiobook version of this book, and thought the reader did an outstanding job of speaking slowly and clearly, especially when the subject matter concerned scientific explorations. Her voice radiated sympathy for trees, moss, and the lab assistant, and even sometimes, for the students.

Hope Jahren opened up her heart and life to show us what it is like to be responsible for a laboratory at a university. It sounds exciting, and definitely is, for her, but it is also stressful as there's pressure to qualify for research grants. That income, however unpredictable, is essential to the longevity of the lab.

I read this book for the 2020 PopSugar Reading Challenge prompt #22 - "A book about or by a woman in STEM." Definitely a good choice. The challenge opens up to me many types of books I wouldn't otherwise have looked at, but I always love a good memoir.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lab Girl.

February 19, 2020 – Started Reading