Charity's Reviews > Emily of New Moon

Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery

liked it

I read this when I was about 14 years old, and while the Emily books didn't stick with me like Anne did, I remember enjoying them. Nearly 30 years later, with a 14-year-old of my own, I revisited New Moon with, mostly, a pleasant sense of returning to a lovely place I'd forgotten. One unpleasant thing I hadn't remembered or hadn't picked up on when I was 14 was how creepy Dean Priest is. I mean, I know those were different times and it was a small island and all, but it really weirded me out the way this 36-year-old man was talking to this 12-year-old girl. Kind of ruined my enjoyment of the book as a whole, although I'm not keen on the epistolary style of storytelling, so it's likely not all the fault of skeevy Dean.

Overall, I like Emily and enjoy her melodrama, and I admire Elizabeth and Laura's commitment to principle, even now that I'm old enough to know that old houses aren't all charm and quirks. I do wonder, when Jimmy brings out the old potato-boiling kettle that Murrays have been using since they first arrived in PEI or when Elizabeth uses the cheese weights that have been used by Murray women for more than a hundred years, did the person who picked those items out originally know she was going to be the last Murray for more than a century to go shopping for those particular household goods? Not that people should buy new cheese weights frivolously, I just don't know that I've ever acquired a possession and thought, "There. Now my great-great-great-grandchildren won't have to go shopping for that."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emily of New Moon.

February 18, 2020 – Started Reading