Brenda's Reviews > A Dog Called Harry

A Dog Called Harry by Jill      Baker

bookshelves: 2020-release, arc, aussie-authors, memoir, reviewing-by-request, sent-by-publisher, 5000-2020, animals, own-read

Jill Baker, editor of a Melbourne newspaper, was shattered when she arrived home to their farm from work to find her beloved husband George lying dead on the floor. Her life changed in that instant – but worse followed when not too long after George’s funeral Jill was diagnosed with breast cancer. As Jill spent the next months having surgery, chemotherapy and finally radiation treatment, the chaos in her mind never stilled.

All sorts of advice from friends and colleagues met with deaf ears, until someone said to Jill – “you need something to love”. And when Jill found Harry – the crazy orange pup which was a cavoodle – she wondered if she’d done the right thing. Before long though, they were inseparable. Harry – fondly nicknamed Dirty Harry after one particular misdemeanor – was just right for Jill. Cuddles, love, devotion and the never ending excitement the minute Jill turned up, whether she’d been gone an hour or a day, made Harry the perfect companion for a woman whose life had fractured into so many pieces, that she was sure it couldn’t be put back together again.

A Dog Called Harry (with the adorable cover) is a heartwarming memoir by Aussie author Jill Baker – her first book; her first dog – and I loved it! Harry reminded me of our cavoodle, he had some of the same naughty behaviour, but thankfully ours was a little better behaved! Jill’s mental attitude took a battering but her incredible strength as she went through some of the worst life can throw at us, was amazing. It also shows the truth of what all animal lovers know – that a beloved animal, be it dog or cat or anything else, can make a difference to your life. Highly recommended.

With thanks to Hachette AU for my ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dog Called Harry.

February 18, 2020 – Shelved
February 21, 2020 – Shelved as: 5000-2020
February 21, 2020 – Shelved as: animals
February 21, 2020 – Shelved as: own-read
February 21, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Woman Reading (new)

Woman Reading Good review - dogs are my soft spot ...

Brenda Thanks - mine too :)

message 3: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe Such a cute cover. How could you resist that face?

message 4: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!!!

Brenda Dale wrote: "Such a cute cover. How could you resist that face?"

Exactly Dale - I'm sure they rely on their looks ;)

Brenda Deanna wrote: "Excellent review!!!"

Thanks Deanna :)

message 7: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Great review, Brenda. Looking forward to reading this one.

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob Great review Brenda. Had heart strings tugging just reading your review.

Brenda Sharon wrote: "Great review, Brenda. Looking forward to reading this one."

Thanks Sharon, you'll love it :)

Brenda Rob wrote: "Great review Brenda. Had heart strings tugging just reading your review."

Thanks Rob, it was great!

message 11: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Arthur Great review Brenda, Harry looks just like my little cavoodle!

Brenda Thanks Gloria :) What's your little one's name? They're a gorgeous dog aren't they..

message 13: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Arthur We call her Millie Bear, she is gorgeous, what do you call yours Brenda?

Brenda That's a lovely name Gloria :) Our little girl was Chloe - she passed away last year in July at 14.5 years of age..

message 15: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Arthur Sorry to hear Brenda, you must miss your little Chloe heaps 😢

Brenda Thanks Gloria, we do, lots..