Greg's Reviews > The Oxford Guide to Library Research

The Oxford Guide to Library Research by Thomas  Mann

Sep 03, 2008

bookshelves: books-about-books, libraries, school
Read in October, 2008

This book is amazing. Not the edge of your seat kind of amazing, but the kind of 'oh my fucking god this is so cool' kind of dorky amazing. In just under three hundred pages there is so much information that it's almost staggering, and the author can handle this plethora of researching advice in a very easy to read and accessible manner. That he's something of a crummugedon (oh, why won't my spell checker know what word I'm trying to spell here, and oh why am i so lazy to go look up how to spell it myself) when it comes to computers is quite amusing. He doesn't miss a chance to take a swipe at Google, and after awhile you might even start to think that there is nothing to be found of any worth just through using Google. This can get a little bit much at times, but it's also a reminder to go deeper than Google when looking for information or doing research, and that while Google might have lots of information there is still so much that isn't there and which is in danger of being buried even farther from societies collective awareness because it's not searchable by the big G. If you're any kind of information dork it's difficult to go more than a couple of pages without feeling like your going to wet yourself over some database, or encyclopedia or website that Mann describes. So good, and at just $18.95 it puts to shame my other textbook that is supposed to be teaching future librarians on how to find information well to total shame. (I'd say that my other textbook at more than three times the cost is probably less than a third as comprehensive as this one.)

I only wish I had known about this book, or had been exposed to even a fraction of the stuff in here when I had been an undergrad or during grad school part one, instead of just finding out about it now when I'm supposed to be learning how to help other people find all of this cool nerdy shit instead of going and working with it myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Oxford Guide to Library Research.

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam A friend and I used to pretend to flirt with each other using pick-up lines about footnotes and text formatting. Probably a good thing we didn't have this book or we might have gotten carried away.

And it's curmudgeon.