Donna's Reviews > Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance

Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance by Lee Child

Apr 26, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: short-stories

This was a nasty collection of short stories about nasty people doing nasty things to one another, making me feel nasty when I read it. But seriously, I had my doubts about finishing this book. The first half dozen stories were completely foul. And I don't mean that the writing was bad. I mean, the characters and the stories felt soiled in some way. It wasn't until I read Anne Swardson's story "River Secret" that I found something to latch onto, somebody to root for. It was a depressing story, as well, but well-crafted and the characters seemed real. I also enjoyed--and I use that verb with some trepidation, as none of these stories were what you would call enjoyable--Brendan DuBois' "The Final Ballot," "The Unremarkable Heart" by Karin Slaughter(a favorite author of mine), and "The Hotline" by Dreda Say Mitchell. The other stories left me feeling uneasy to one degree or another, often showing otherwise average people pushed to their limits to become monsters when eradicating the monsters. What does that say about mankind? This book pretty much sums it up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance.

April 26, 2012 – Started Reading