Amanda's Reviews > The Populist's Guide to 2020: A New Right and New Left are Rising

The Populist's Guide to 2020 by Krystal Ball

I started watching "Rising with Krystal and Saagar" around the middle of last year and found it quite refreshing and informative compared to mainstream news. This book is an extension of the show. The essays are based on what they've covered in their daily "radars", as well as some new material, each with the main focus being on the current economic and political environment in the U.S. Together they provide a clear explanation of their visions of "economic populism" as the new direction for both parties.
It's an easy read, and though it covers current events and politics it doesn't feel like a news report and isn't bogged down by lengthy annotations. Krystal represents the left, admonishing the media's coverage of Bernie Sanders, the lack of introspection from the Democratic Party since the 2016 election, and their misguided hopes in Russia-gate and impeachment. Saagar represents the right, calling out liberals on their current trend of "woke" virtue signaling and identity politics, but also warning conservatives against worshiping the ideals of "free-market libertarianism" and urging them to remember the working class that helped them win back the White House.
Overall, I find Krystal and Saagar's work engaging, informative and timely. It's a much needed reminder that we do find consensus in many places. We may have different ideas of how to solve the problems America is facing, but we are pretty much unanimous on identifying the sources.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Populist's Guide to 2020.

February 11, 2020 – Started Reading