Pete Denton's Reviews > Dexter Is Delicious

Dexter Is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

Apr 26, 2012

Read in April, 2012

This is the fifth book in the Dexter series.

I always judge a book by whether or not the story stays with me after I’ve finished reading. When I decided to start writing book reviews I made the conscious decision to wait a few days after I’d finished a book to let the story wash over me a little. Some stories you forget about, but this is not one of them. This story just keeps coming back and certain scenes keep popping into my mind. I like it when they do that.

This book’s written in the first person and the entire book is from the main protagonist’s point of view. I have to say, for me, the narrative voice is spot on. There is a lot of humour injected into Dexter’s view of the world and the balance works well.

I’ve read a few reviews on Amazon that say how disappointed some people are with this story and I completely disagree. I enjoyed reading this from start to finish and once I got into the flow I only stopped reading when my eyes wouldn’t stay open. For consecutive evenings I stayed up later than planned because I HAD to keep reading. That is always a good sign.

This is a book about a serial killer and there’s a lot of bad language and scenes of a violent nature, which you’d expect from a book about a serial killer! If you don’t mind that type of thing then I highly recommend this book and all the series. And if you haven’t seen the TV programme I recommend that too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dexter Is Delicious.

Amanda I completely agree with your review. I dont understand why so many people disliked this installment.. I love the humor that the author brings to Dexter's character.. He is a different Dexter than the TV show portrays, but I have enjoyed the books, just as much as I enjoyed the show!