Gloria Grossi's Reviews > Opaque

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

85198959

liked it
Read 3 times. Last read February 26, 2020.

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is a book I was eager to read. I have not had the best experiences with science fiction novels; however, I got drawn to this book because it has good ratings. I found this book to be paranormal, romantic, and mysterious. Opaque is a book most young adults are likely to appreciate, but I can't say the same for me.

The story is about 16-year-old Adam Caspian. He has everything an average child needs to survive; however, he cannot seem to fit into the society he finds himself in. His only comfort is his mother; strangely, he is sexually attracted to her. Adam has some demons in him, and this darkness is about to eat him when he meets a girl his age who changes his world.

This story was good; however, I found some things confusing.

Some of the things I love about this book include the creative imagination of the writer. The story was rich, and I could tell that the author researched well. The characters were well developed, and I love the way Adam's character evolved. This material was flawless.

As one who has little to no history with science fiction books, this material has me considering reading more science fiction novels. Not all science fiction novels are bad, after all.

The author did well to share the story behind this creation. I found this fact exciting, and it made me eager to read this material.

Unfortunately, I got confused at the beginning. This book came with different emotions, which I was not expecting. The description said it was a science fiction novel. I expected the story to be along that line.

In the beginning, I got some paranormal vibes. While trying to get my head around it, the story went all lovey-dovey, and finally, we got into the science fiction part.

I think there could have been a better way of arranging this book. I am in no position to tell an author how to tell their story; nevertheless, I think a reader is likely to be put off because the science fiction aspect started at about 60% into the book.

This fact made the book's start very slow, and Adam’s attitude made it difficult to like him and harder to learn his story.

There were lots of ups and downs that got me exhausted. It started at a slow pace; at 40%, the pace picked up, at 50%, it came back down, and after 60%, it became medium-paced, which transitioned once more into a fast-paced. Whew!

Carly is a sweet and likable character, but one decision she made changed everything for me. This event made the whole book unrealistic. Carly is ready to go to war because her father got kidnapped, yet she is quick to wave Adams's secrets, one of which got an innocent girl killed. This story must be a joke!

I like this story, and I would not mind reading the next book.

Visit my blog for more book reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opaque.

February 17, 2020 – Shelved