Natalie Jenner's Reviews > Asperfell

Asperfell by Jamie  Thomas

ASPERFELL is a haunting and beautifully written gothic tale, which immediately captured my attention with the measured ease of its prose - an ease all the more impressive in a debut author. Thomas portrays her characters with skill and affection, and the heroine Briony is a particular delight. The slow burn of her romance with the reluctant and imprisoned prince, so doubtful at first of her unique abilities, was a genuine delight. This is a very early foray into fantasy and gothic fiction for me as a reader, but Thomas has delivered interesting characters and a propulsive narrative that would succeed in any genre. As dangerous and ominous a world as Asperfell was, I was not ready to leave it and am thrilled to learn that this book is the first part of a planned trilogy. Like Sarah Kozloff’s debut fantasy novel A QUEEN IN HIDING, ASPERFELL portrays another world in all its cinematic, medieval and bone-chilling glory, with a young female heroine whose journey to discover the full extent of her magical powers will inspire and hearten both adult and young adult readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asperfell.

Finished Reading