Judy's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Apr 26, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoirs, favorites

My husband bought the Kindle edition of this book, and then I promptly bought the audiobook, so we could listen to it together on our way back to Washington from California. If you haven't read Jenny Lawson's blog, you really should head over there right now, and do it!

Jenny provides us with a hilarious, and sometimes heartwrenching, look into her life. She grew up in rural Texas, the daughter of an Army veteran turned taxidermist, and has so many hilarious stories about growing up. She's admittedly a little crazy, but has managed to find a way to put a positive spin on her various diagnoses. I love that she speaks in HER voice, not uptight and proper like some may do in writing their memoirs. There's a lot of swearing, but it really just makes the entire book all the more hilarious.

If you haven't read this, you need to. This is hands down one of the funniest books I've ever read in my life, and is now one of my most loved. Also, if you get a chance to get your hands on the audiobook, I highly recommend getting it, mostly because hearing the story told by Jenny herself just adds that much more to the book. I'm not at all surprised that this made it to #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list, and that accolade is definitely one that she deserves. Go out and get this book now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

April 26, 2012 – Started Reading