Casey's Reviews > Jefferson's Daughters: Three Sisters, White and Black, in a Young America

Jefferson's Daughters by Catherine Kerrison

bookshelves: march-2020

This is not an easy read. If you are looking for anything remotely like historical fiction, this is not for you. If you are looking for a heavily researched story of the differences between white and black women in the 18th century, or gender roles in the 18th and 19th centuries, this is the book for you.

Kerrison has done a lot of research, which is clear from this content and the exceptionally long section of notations at the end of the writing. As I read this book, I often felt that I was not getting far in the reading itself. I'm a fast reader yet seemed to never make progress. I attribute that to the fact that there is a great deal in this book to digest. There are some uncomfortable truths in this book, and there is also a great deal of author bias in it (which is fine for me because I agree with Kerrison). It is difficult to dismiss 21st-century biases as a reader which I think also translates to the writing. But the American Founding Fathers were filled with contradictions that Kerrison does a good job of highlighting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jefferson's Daughters.

February 16, 2020 – Started Reading