Kelly's Reviews > The Hidden Staircase

The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene

Sep 03, 2008

bookshelves: childhood-loves, fiction

I blame these books for my first recess of having to sit on the bench while the other kids played. It was third grade, I was reading one of these under my desk during math time, and totally got caught answering, "Wha-hu?" instead of the answer to a long division problem. It was traumatizing, I had never been in trouble! (Except that one time we got in trouble for throwing snowballs on the playground in the middle of January. No, really.) But it tells you how much I love these books that I didn't care! In fact, I think I went right back to reading the next day. I had the ones with just these exact covers, too. I must've had at least thirty of them, if not more. They consumed pretty much the entire third grade year.

Nancy was smart and pretty and had a nice boyfriend, and got to go into chillingly fun places that involved fog and full moons and stakeouts, and at that age, I hadn't a /clue/ what the end could /possibly/ be, so they always kept me in suspense right until the very end. What isn't to love?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Staircase.

Finished Reading
September 3, 2008 – Shelved
September 3, 2008 – Shelved as: childhood-loves
September 3, 2008 – Shelved as: fiction

message 1: by (new) - added it

♡ Haha when I was in elementary school, I *always* read books under the desk too! Especially during math time! I've been reading Nancy Drew pretty much my whole life haha :)

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I loved them too. I think they might have been my first series books. I would sneak my nightlight back on to read after everyone went to sleep.

Kelly Oh yes! Nightlight under the sheets! The classic booknerd move. They were totally worth it! Eventually I think my parents just gave up and hoped I would discover the virtues of sleep on my own. :)

Yogesh Nandal Hehehe I dreamt about the next Nancy Drew adventure and hoped to meet a real time girl as smart as her,, damn I'd marry her lol

message 5: by Punisher17 (new) - added it

Punisher17 Your falt

Jacob22 I litarly got in trouble for reading this book under my desk in school yesterday. Hey, I am only a fith grader! :)

message 7: by Betty (new)

Betty Smith We had just moved at the beginning of my 4th grade & I noticed some girls reading some cloth-bound ink-blue books from the school library. I was impressed when I picked one up and they were mostly text! Kinda small text with big words. And just a few sketch-illustrations throughout. Those girls must be smart! So I tried one as a challenge. Hooked, totally, totally. Throughout the next couple of years they were my greatest pleasure. Just baby-sitting on a Sat. night plus my modest allowance were enough to buy a new one every week! And how I ached to have a mystery to solve just like Nancy. And a powder-blue roadster. Some creepy stairs with a flashlight, picturesque places like Larkspur Lane and the seaside where the Mystery of the Tolling Bell was -- I imagined heaven on earth! Of course, I outgrew them, sadly, but I didn't realize it until I was well into adulthood and thumbed through one in a bookstore. I'd read most of the series. "The Secret in the Old Clock" (first) - just the words conjure up idyllic joy for me!