Garima's Reviews > Norwegian Wood

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

bookshelves: my-2-cents

I am a brand new Haruki Murakami’s fan and having read Kafka on the Shore as my first novel written by him, I found myself gripped under the surreal and unimaginable experience his writing provided to me as a reader. And that intrigued me to read another of his famous novels, Norwegian Wood. Before reviewing or rather I would say giving my naïve opinion on this book, I better start with my assumptions w.r.t this book.

When we read someone like him, we start expecting something new and better every time we read more of their works but along the process we tend to forget that there are very few writers in this world who challenge themselves to tread a different path and walking upon it too and that’s exactly Murakami did with this novel, whose popularity surprised him also.

So, it’s not exactly a Love story in the eyes of many, but someone like me who has accepted and marveled at the different kinds of love that exist in this world, it definitely is one and a beautiful one at that. It’s a love story with a pragmatic and realistic view on human emotions. But again, there are several other things murakami surfaced along with love, like rain and how it symbolizes sadness (IMO), like Death and quoting here: “Death exists, not as the opposite but as the part of life,” but in this book, Death exists as a part of this Book. It’s a character in itself and needs to be understood not in a negative sense of death because it’s simply not, quoting again: “I’m getting rid of anything from the past so I can be reborn in the future.”

Why one would hate this book, there can be many reasons but to love this book, one need to put themselves in shoes of Toru, Naoko, Midori, Reiko, Hatsumi, Nagasawa and Kizuki (who started it all). And then one can understand its true essence to cherish the two basic treasures of humans: Love & Life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norwegian Wood.

Quotes Garima Liked

Haruki Murakami
“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”
Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

Finished Reading
April 26, 2012 – Shelved
October 11, 2013 – Shelved as: my-2-cents

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye Beautiful review, Garima.

Garima Oh Thank you so much. This is like my first ever review on Goodreads. Hoping to get some tips from your wonderful reviews.

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye Thanks, Garima. The best tip is to try to put into words the pleasure you got from the book. You're already very good at this.

Cristina Moving review! Congrats!

message 5: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye Garima wrote: "Oh Thank you so much. This is like my first ever review on Goodreads. Hoping to get some tips from your wonderful reviews."

Doesn't this seem like so long ago!

Garima Cristina wrote: "Moving review! Congrats!"

Thanks Cristina! :)

Garima Ian wrote: "Garima wrote: "Oh Thank you so much. This is like my first ever review on Goodreads. Hoping to get some tips from your wonderful reviews."

Doesn't this seem like so long ago!"

I know, right! but I still stand by my words there. Your reviews have always been inspiring.

Ruben Perfect review. It is most definitely a love story, to me. It's all about love (and death). I like how you identified death as a character. I'm a huge fan of Murakami. Thanks for this terrific review.

Garima Ruben wrote: "Perfect review. It is most definitely a love story, to me. It's all about love (and death). I like how you identified death as a character. I'm a huge fan of Murakami. Thanks for this terrific review."

Thanks a lot, Ruben :)

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Very potent and pregnant review to me, who like you have read a few and want more. Am torn like you between the path where "we start expecting something new and better every time" or just hoping for more of the same. So after the delights of "Kafka On the Shore" and "The Wild Sheep Chase", do I want this one to be very similar or something another step further? You make me hope for both.

message 11: by David (new)

David I have a strange reaction to Murakami, and I can never quite place him. On the one hand I like to read him, he is kind of a fun, modern-ish Kafka. But I am never moved by him, he seems to operate on the surface, and never gets deep for me. His characters are eccentrics and interesting, but there is some sort of cut connection. When you compare him to great internalists/impressionists he falls very short, but also lacks that ludic element in some of the better post-modernist stuff. And even though he is a pretty poor prose artist, I still like reading him. It's strange. I'm glad you liked this - you should try Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

message 12: by Ted (new) - added it

Ted I have this book, Garima, but haven't read it yet. I suppose I must set my sights on doing that at some point.

The only book I've read by him is 1Q84. This was a very good story, but told in enough words to craft two or three very good stories. I've sort of shied away from him since then, since I seem to be lucky to get in a couple hours of (book) reading in a day.

message 13: by Tej (new) - added it

Tej What? Did you edit it or something? It shows Dec,4 and then the comments from long past, ha!

I thought I missed it becase of not being here... ;)

Nevertheless, it is very informative and erudite piece of writing that has its heart in place even in brevity... I haven't read any Marukami yet and it reminds me to change that :)

Garima @Michael: You're kind, Michael. This is very different from his other books. It is, for the lack of better word, normal but definitely have that underlying surreality which keeps the pleasure of reading the trademark Murakami book alive.

@David: I hear you, David. I'm aware that for many readers, Murakami books falls short of impressing them but for me what really works is that inexplicable, a little sentimental connection his words make with my psyche.

he is a pretty poor prose artist, I still like reading him.

Haha! That's how it is. And I've already read Wind-up and that stand as my favorite Murakami :)

@Ted: I've heard that 1Q84 is his least successful book. I'm actually reading it but still haven't formed any concrete opinion. We'll see. Do read this one. It's short and hopefully will suit your literary tastes. And when in doubt, read Ian Graye's reviews ;)

Garima Tej wrote: "What? Did you edit it or something? It shows Dec,4 and then the comments from long past, ha!

I thought I missed it becase of not being here... ;)

Nevertheless, it is very informative and erudite ..."

Don't you know what's going on?????

This is like my first ever review on goodreads and it shows :P Thank you, anyway ;)

message 16: by Tej (new) - added it

Tej Garima wrote: "Tej wrote: "What? Did you edit it or something? It shows Dec,4 and then the comments from long past, ha!

I thought I missed it becase of not being here... ;)

Nevertheless, it is very informative ..."

Good God!!! I had NO IDEA, now I saw your Calvino review then I thought how come are you editing all of them...

It sure is like we are being 'ABUSED' ha, showing newbies all they wish them to see through us, drones in a beehive huh!!!

Is there anything else that I don't know????

Garima Tej wrote: "Garima wrote: "Tej wrote: "What? Did you edit it or something? It shows Dec,4 and then the comments from long past, ha!

I thought I missed it becase of not being here... ;)

Nevertheless, it is ve..."

I was surprised then later got shocked this morning. Moreover all my not that-great-reviews are getting floated, haha. All you need to know that goodreads has completely lost it today.