Ron's Reviews > The Tolkien Reader

The Tolkien Reader by J.R.R. Tolkien

Sep 03, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fiction, drama, writing
Recommended for: Tolkien, Lord of the Ring, writers, science fiction, fantasy readers
Read 5 times. Last read April 15, 1998.

This collection is a must read for fans of all forms of fantasy. His essay "On Fairy Tales" is worth reading at least twice.

If reading "On Fairy tales" for the first time, I suggest you try to avoid reading the footnotes. They're interesting, but they knock you out of Tolkien's thought train. Then read it again, preferrably immediately. For, while Tolkien focuses on fairy stories, he in fact discusses nothing short of the nature and significance of all fiction.

"The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth" and "Farmer Giles of Han" illustrate the enormous breadth of Professor Tolkien's wit and scholarship. The poems, frankly, might only be of interest to die-hard LOTR fans.

Recommend you skip Peter S. Beagle's essay on "Tolkien's Magic Ring" as it adds nothing to the collection. If Mister Beagle actually read "The Lord of the Rings," he certainly didn't understand it. Your opinions will be at least as good as his.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tolkien Reader.

message 1: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Can't believe I've never seen this before. I just found it and mooched it at bookmooch.com so I'll be able to read this in the near future. And I'll have to check out Beagle's book as well.

Thanks for brining this to my attention!

message 2: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Beagle's "book" isn't a book ,but an opening essay in the Tolkien Reader. Have no idea why it's there. It insults the readers by apparently assuming we don't know who Tolkien or the Ring are.

message 3: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron BTW, I re-read "On Fairy Tales" regularly.