Billy's Reviews > Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier

Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose

Apr 26, 2012

Read in August, 2011

This book is long but well worth it. The journey of Lewis & Clark has been told before, but you know that Ambrose is going to do it better.

There's a perseverance found in Lewis' life that we might be hard pressed to find in our world today. Perhaps, the Kenyan marathon runner or the Himalayan mountain climber would compare, but what we see in Lewis and Clark's expedition is really one of the greatest adventures of our time.

I loved Ambrose's devotion to Lewis adventures that has affected his entire family as they camp each year at the one of the main crossing points of the Rocky Mountains. Here's a guy that has not only thrown his back into the research for a classic history book of one of American's greatest adventurers, but also, spent a lifetime of steadied interest and devotion in the aura of his achievements.

Of course, it does not end so well for Lewis... and the speculations abound about what would cause him to do such a thing. It's really sad. One can never forget the importance of running with friends and keeping one's head about oneself in the midst of community, but, alas, sometimes we are called to give account of our actions and are forced to walk alone.

Would it have been that Clark would not have left him, but joined him in his journey back to Washington... but home was beckoning... after nearly 3 years away who could possibly blame him.

Enjoy the journey with Lewis & Clark and pick up this incredible history of one of the greatest adventurers America has produced.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undaunted Courage.