Jennifer's Reviews > Split Image

Split Image by Robert B. Parker

Apr 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: library-loan, fiction, read-2012

I'm sure this isn't Robert B Parker at his best, but it was still plenty of fun. Semi-retired mobsters are married to identical twins who take their genetic status to extremes. I rather liked that it was no 'thriller' with no peril for the main characters occurring the statutory 3/4 or so into the book. A surprise in itself! (Sorry for that little spoiler...)

The novel shows the complex nature of relationships between the police and criminals, the level of mutual regard which can exist - and the complex nature of justice too. Once again, I enjoyed the positive relationships between the police officers.

This is the first Jesse Stone novel I've read so far where I have really seen his alcohol use result in dereliction of duty, and in many ways much of the subsequent story hinges on unpicking the trigger for his binge.

Sunny is here too. Some people suggest the dialogue between the two of them is so similar as to amount to laziness on Parker's part but I have a hunch it is evidence of the growing closeness between the two of them that they are unconsciously moulding one another (or moulding themselves?) to each other's style. I am however mystified that Sunny makes enough of a living to afford two therapy sessions a week on a long-term basis - here she is engaged in a kind of robust social work with a girl who is living in a commune much to the dismay of the girl's parents (that's dismay at the commune life and at Sunny's brand of social work on which they had not bargained)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split Image.