Leah's Reviews > The Last Wish: Introducing the Witcher

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

I knew about the video games but hadn't played them. My first experience with Geralt of Rivia was the Netflix series, which I semi-binged in December 2019 -- hey, I made myself take a full week to watch it! So enamored with Geralt, Yennefer, and the world, I started rewatching it in January 2020, and soon realized I'd definitely have to check out the books to satiate my appetite until season two is released. Thankfully, my gamer daughter already had The Last Wish on her shelf.

Unlike other reviewers, I think watching the show first helped me fully immerse myself in the book's world because I didn't have to familiarize myself with who was who. And there are A LOT of characters in this collection of short stories.

One of my favorite parts of the stories: the allusions to folklore and fairy tales -- I mean everything from Hans My Hedgehog to Snow White to Cinderella. So subtly done, so seamlessly blended into Geralt's world, that you might have to be a fairy-tale enthusiast to spot them... unless you're specifically looking for them.

I'm gonna try to NOT binge all the books in 2020, only read 3-4, that way I have another 4-5to hold me over between seasons two and three of the show, which hasn't been confirmed, but I'm hoping for nonetheless.

P.S. In case anyone is looking for such a thing, Orbit, the US publisher, created a graphic for How to Read The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Wish.

February 10, 2020 – Started Reading