Gretchen's Reviews > Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible

Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick

Apr 25, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction

Sun Stand Still is a book by Steven Furtick, the lead pastor of Elevation Church. Elevation Church is a church that is established in Charlotte, North Carolina. There are several campus, as well as “extension” sites, which are sites that meet outside of Charlotte and conduct their own services. I’m a part of an extension site at my college, so I decided I should probably read the book. For more information on Elevation, check out their website! They do a lot of amazing things, and their impact is really phenomenal.

Anyway, back to the book! The title of the book comes from the story of Joshua who asked God to make the sun stand still so he could win a battle, and God did it. Furtick takes this story and turns it into a mission. Everyone needs to develop his or her own “sun stand still” prayer. It has to be something so big that there’s no way you could accomplish it without God’s help. If you pray this sun stand still prayer, then big things can happen in your life, but only if you really believe and have audacious faith.

Furtick talks a lot about this idea of “audacious faith,” which is really an awesome concept. He talks about being young and stupid and how his church never would have happened if he hadn’t been young and stupid. He had crazy faith in what he was doing and in what God could do through him. We have to have audacious faith and pray our sun stand still prayers.

“Audacious faith is the raw material that authentic Christianity is made of. It’s the stuff that triggers ordinarily level-headed people like you and me to start living with unusual boldness.”

The book is really great. He uses a lot of personal examples to drive his points home, and I really enjoyed his concepts and arguments. The book is meant to inspire you to have that audacious faith and to go out there and do something important with your life. I’m hoping I can do that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun Stand Still.

April 25, 2012 – Started Reading