Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw's Reviews > The Average American: The Extraordinary Search for the Nation's Most Ordinary Citizen

The Average American by Kevin O'Keefe

Apr 25, 2012

bookshelves: anthropology, read-in-2012

"The average American takes a 10.4 minute shower... 86% of those pee in the shower and 67% do not sing in the shower..."

A great little conversation starter for my next party.

It is nice to see some 'myths' exploded and I appreciated the insight into how the media and marketing businesses twist statistics around to suit their own narrow agendas... "you mean JIF really ISN'T the number one peanut butter in America?"

I think where Kevin has stumbled a bit is in trying to make this some kind of spiritual quest. Stick to the task at hand... find the Average American.

I am pleased, although not in the least surprised to find that I am not an 'average American'. For starters... my showers run more than 10 minutes... I don't pee in the shower, although I... but, I digress...

All in all... an interesting read; one which shouldn't be taken too seriously, but with the 'tongue-in-cheek' spirit in which it should be.

After all... is there really an 'average' American... or any other nationality, for that matter? Like snowflakes, we humans are 'no two alike'... unique and special in our own ways.

We are not average or ordinary!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Average American.

April 25, 2012 – Started Reading