Kevin Richey's Reviews > Ascend

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Apr 25, 2012

Read from April 25 to May 10, 2012

This was probably the strongest in the series overall, but I think the second still has some of my favorite scenes. My only complaint is that the final battle felt a bit rushed. There was a lot of build up (two books worth) to the final confrontation between Oren and Wendy, and it all seemed very easy and simple. I also thought the epilogue went on a bit too long, but then, I kind of hate epilogues in general. They're very hard to do right.

But in general I was pleasantly surprised by the series. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard a lot of hype about Amanda Hocking beforehand (the whole million dollar ebook sensation thing), and after reading these books I don't think she simply got lucky. These are strong books, and if they were still unknown, I'd totally be telling everyone about them. I'd even still recommend them to fans of YA paranormal romance. This has a really strong world, and the characters are fun and likable. I think the best part of Hocking's success with the series (from a fan's perspective) is that there might be movies of this trilogy at some point. I think they would transition really well to screen, and probably be really popular. I hope it happens.

This series was also strong enough that I will now be adding the rest of Hocking's work to my Wishlist. Even if this is supposed to be her best (so far), it might be really interesting to see her earlier books that are still self-published. Kind of a before and after. I'm also looking forward to her Watersong series that starts later this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.

05/08/2012