Tracy's Reviews > Starters

Apr 25, 2012

Recommended to Tracy by: Jennifer Herman
Recommended for: Fans of Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent or Unwind
Read from April 22 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

Starters by Lissa Price is a new story in the world of teen dystopian sci-fi that fascinates and terrifies all at the same time. Pit Callie against Katniss and I'd be hard pressed to guess which heroine would be victorious.

If you've read Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman or Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld than you will love Starters.

Callie has lost her parents to The Spore Wars and is now an unclaimed minor. She is also responsible for her brother Tyler who is only 7 years old and ill. They live in a world of adults mostly over the age of 60, some who are as old as 200, called Enders and kids under 20 called Starters. Very few people between 20 and 60 (known as Middles) received the vaccine that Starters and Enders did.

Running from the Marshalls and Unfriendlies, staying safe, warm and fed is difficult on top of all that Tyler needs medicine. What's a girl to do when she promised her father she'd look after her little brother? Callie looks into Prime Destinations as a way to make some money and possibly give them back a little bit of the life they were used to.

What she discovers brings to mind the old adages 'Be careful what you wish for' and 'If it seems to good to be true, it probably is'. The Enders are 'renting' the bodies of Starters to feel young again but some young wealthy Starters have gone missing and their Grandparents are wondering why.
Callie's journey to answer that question leads her on a thrilling ride that I guarantee you won't always be able to predict!

The writing is vivid while the way the characters relate and interact with each other will alternately have you cheering, hoping and grinding your teeth in anger or disgust.

If you are looking for an incredible gut-wrenching, page turning, twisty turny, didn't see that coming romantic adventure, what are you waiting for, you've found it in Starters.

I can not wait to read Enders, though I guess I'll have to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.