Connie Saunders's Reviews > Childhood

Childhood by Greg Schaffer

Read 2 times. Last read February 2020.

Katie Whetley is ten years old when we first meet her and Childhood deals with her life over the next nine years. Even as a fourth-grader Katie has adult responsibilites: after school she is expected to help her father and also care for a younger brother who has special needs. From the beginning we know that Katie has a crush on her neighbor Joey and she feels like she has no friends. A friendship between Katie and Joey deepens over the years but Katie, still hiding her secret crush, must deal with his romantic relationship with her now best friend Lynn.

This is a very short book, only 66 pages long, so there are only brief glimpses of Katie, Joey, and Lynn during their journey to adulthood. I really like Katie and Joey but Lynn's character changes and it is unclear why. Childhood is definitely a teaser for what is ahead in Greg Schaffer's next book, Fatherhood, and I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Katie, Joey, and Lynn.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher but a favorable review was not required. These are my own thoughts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Childhood.

Finished Reading