Mirrani's Reviews > Kindred Spirits

Kindred Spirits by Julianne Lee

Apr 25, 2012

bookshelves: finished-and-reviewed
Read from April 25 to 29, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindred Spirits.

Mirrani This is a book of science fiction and history all rolled in to a good story filled with family, conflict, struggles and love. It is truly as unique as it sounds and the experience of reading is even better. The characters shape their futures in ways that they would never expect.

There are not many stories of time travel where you /want/ history to change, but in this case it is all that you hope for as you read along. The reader becomes so caught up in the lives of the characters, in the hope of the future, in the dream of making a change that we forget what most sci-fi stories tell us about time travel; that changing what is happening in the past will alter our future unimaginably. This idea that it was somehow "meant to be" was refreshing and really helps the reader stay with the emotion and experience of the book itself rather than worry about the future timeline going awry.

I'm not a history nut, but the book seemed historically believable. I only questioned that perhaps it was a little too easy for the two main characters to become settled in a timeline that wasn't their own. The story itself pulls the reader in, bringing you into both the history of the situation and the emotional elements as well. It was wonderful to see a woman in the civil war era come to her own, find a way to go against stereotype and help to take care of her family, even if it was all done because she was from the future. I'm certain that there are more stories of that type to be told, since women /had/ to have a larger role once the man of the house was gone, but telling the story through time travel made it interesting and entertaining.

Kindred Spirits is a wonderful book that fans of time travel, history, and the family story will be unable to put down. It is both touching and uplifting, reminding us that we can always make the best of the situation put before us Certainly not one to be missed.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review.