Elaine Bearden's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

F 50x66
Apr 25, 2012

Read in April, 2012

YA, gr8-12
I'd seen the interview with John by Ilene Cooper and read the reviews of this book so I was really expecting to be blown-away by this. I wasn't. But I wasn't underwhelmed either. The book started in what I thought was a pretty typical YA kind of voice, which I wasn't expecting. John's characters are really interesting (though I thought he was a little hard on the guy who ran the cancer group). And ultimately, that was what compelled me to keep reading this book. Plus the dialogue was witty and smart without being stuffy. John touches on some of the big issues like our own mortality, and ultimately does not end on an altogether down note. I think YAs aged 15-24 would really be interested in this book. I found myself not wanting to put it down. I do love the interesting plot connections that are revealed and noticed first by Hazel. I think ultimately that Madeline L'Engle dealt more smartly with mortality, for instance in her book The Ring of Endless Light. It has, however, been a long time since I read it, so perhaps time has skewed my perspective. (L'Engle, by the way, has written about faith in books for adults, too.) I digress. Definitely worth a read. (And why, I say, does there always need to be a trip of some sort in all of these Green and other YA novels? It's like an archetype - YA Book = teen + road trip.)
1 like · flag