Jenny's Reviews > The Last Smile in Sunder City

The Last Smile in Sunder City by Luke Arnold

bookshelves: 2020-books, urban-fantasy

I loved this book. I went into it with pretty low expectations, admittedly, but I was blown away by how much I enjoyed this.

It reminds me of The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe, with the detective noir feel in the fantasy setting. If anyone know of any other books in that scope feel free to point me to them! I've read other urban fantasy, where it's our world, but added magic, and those can be fun if formulaic, but his book is "their" world but the magic is suddenly gone. Unique, as far as I've experienced, and fascinating.

The plot is fairly standard, PI is hired to find a missing man. The missing man isn't in any of his usual haunts and the PI decides to check out some unusual haunts, only to come across another missing person, a couple of corpses, and some folks with grudges. All standard PI fare. The missing person? A vampire. The folks with grudges? Werewolves and cyclops. Throw in a potential harpy and a half-ogre and you've got SOME of the mundane creatures you'll come across inside this completely non-standard, exceptional book.

I can't wait for the second one. I wish the author fast fingers and a steady flow of coffee and ideas!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Smile in Sunder City.

February 12, 2020 – Shelved
February 12, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
February 12, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-books
March 6, 2020 – Started Reading
March 6, 2020 –
20.0% "Dang this is good. I've read quite a few urban fantasy PI novels and this one has just the right blend. Reminds me of Sword Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe."
March 7, 2020 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy