Bill's Reviews > Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe Hill

Apr 25, 2012

bookshelves: horror
Read in April, 2012

Nothing beats a good comic. Nothing. Okay, almost nothing.

When I was a kid, I ate, breathed and slept comics. From Archie to Mad Magazine (and Don Martin's paperbacks of Fonebone and Fester Bestertester awesomeness), superheroes, and to my greatest love, horror.

So when I saw these reviewed on Goodreads, a new series by Joe Hill, who has already won me over with Heart-Shaped Box and Horns, they were impossible to pass up.

Volume I follows a family, who, after their father is murdered, return to their ancestral home. As may seem obvious from the cover, there is something sinister about the house.

The story is great, and the artwork is layed out expertly in an original fashion.

But one of my Goodreads friends pointed something out that I am inclined to agree with: the artwork is a bit too cute for the story. With a more sinister style (70s horror comics, say), the story would have more impact rather than the somewhat reassuring style here (that was bang-on, Tommy Z, and I am stealing your words. Thanks in advance).

Regardless, I love comics and rarely read them, so this is a great treat for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Vol. 1.

Trudi This really is wonderful, isn't it? For me, the series only keeps getting better :)

Bill It sure is. I'm so excited about Joe Hill, such a fine storyteller and I'm sure the best is yet to come from him.

Ronyell Awesome review Bill!! This series gets better and better as it goes on!

Bill Thanks Ronyell. Yes it does. I'm caught up to the Clockworks volume and although I haven't reviewed the rest, they are great.

Ronyell Bill wrote: "Thanks Ronyell. Yes it does. I'm caught up to the Clockworks volume and although I haven't reviewed the rest, they are great."

I've read Clockworks too and it's fantastic! I can't wait to check out the last volume Omega Key!