Mymcbooks's Reviews > The Wild Book

The Wild Book by Margarita Engle

Apr 25, 2012

My Review: The Wild Book is fiction inspired by stories told by the author’s grandmother Fefa, who at a young age struggled with dyslexia. But she found ways to overcome this disability with help from her mother who gave her a book with blank pages to write down her thoughts.

Fefa wrote about how her classmates and siblings taunted her, they laugh and mock her and her brothers frighten her with lizards, bugs and spiders. The teacher was too busy to give her extra help and her mom was always there to help her. Her mother taught her to learn how to go slowly and take her time.

While Fefa was frustrated, lonely and struggling with words, she observes the uncertain world of Cuba. It was a time of lawlessness, when Cuba was terrorized by bandits kidnapping farm children unless their families agreed to deliver ransom money in advance. She wrote about the struggles that surrounded her.

Mothers who have children suffering with dyslexia will find this book useful in teaching their child how to overcome their struggles in reading and writing.
The wonderful thing about this book is that Fefa learnt how to deal with her disability by writing slowly and carefully.

The reading age is 10 and up, but I will recommend that parents read this book with their children for better understand.

For a copy visit Amazon http://www.amazon.com/The-Wild-Book-M...

Disclaimer: As per FTC guidelines, I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Book.