Karina Halle's Reviews > A Strange Fire

A Strange Fire by L.H. Cosway

Apr 25, 2012

Please don't judge me for using a Sarah Mclachlan song as the title - it was fitting! A Strange Fire does layer very slowly, building up the mystery surrounding Florence "Flo" Vaine and her new town. I could understand some readers getting frustrated at the pace, but I, however, thought it only added to its charm.

Flo was a very likeable and relatable heroine. Sure, I felt like shaking her a few times for being too naive and for not picking up on things sooner, but that's only because I care about the gal. She's been through a lot with her drug-addicted deadbeat dad, her life in poverty and her stuttering. Speaking of, I read some readers got annoyed at the way she stuttered but, hey, the girl can't help it, just as many people can't. I thought the defect came off realistically and made Flo stand-out from so many other dishwater dull characters you see these days.

The only thing I didn't quite buy was Frank and the romance between them...I wasn't his biggest fan *shrug* But Frank's family and the mysterious Sam did a great job of balancing things out. I even liked Flo's grandmother...well until she...sigh...you'll find out.

A Strange Fire is a slow-burner of a book with an easy writing style, realistic characters and a unique twist on the paranormal - I can't wait for the second.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Strange Fire.

April 25, 2012 – Shelved
June 8, 2012 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
June 10, 2012 –
11.0% "Totally charming thus far."
June 10, 2012 –
11.0% "Totally charming thus far."
June 12, 2012 –
40.0% "Still not sure what's going, sometimes I want to strangle Flo (though she's awesome and I love her death), but this is quite the compelling read."