Lissibith's Reviews > Night Watch

F 50x66
Apr 25, 2012

bookshelves: novel, fantasy, favorites
Read from April 25 to 30, 2012

I've not read all of Pratchett's work. I may never read them all. But I suspect that this will remain my favorite of his books regardless. It's in my top five of all time, I think.

Does it have Pratchett's trademark comedy? Some. Some, certainly. But there's better words for this book. Poignant. Inexorable. Tragic, even, but also, in a very real way, hopeful. Redemptive.

Sam Vimes has, through his own wit and instinct and hard work as well as the support of those who believe in him,come a long way from his first appearance. He's a man in charge, the ranking noble of the city, and about to be a father. But there's a part of him that can't leave the street and doesn't like to see his men hurt, and that's why on the even of his child's birth, he's out on the streets chasing a cop-killer psychopath. But an accident of magic and lightning rips a hole in time and both the killer and Vimes find themselves back 30 years.

(view spoiler)

If you like Pratchett's work, do yourself a real favor and make sure to read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Watch.

Quotes Lissibith Liked

Terry Pratchett
“Ninety percent of most magic merely consists of knowing one extra fact.”
Terry Pratchett, Night Watch