Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)'s Reviews > Sawkill Girls

Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand

liked it
bookshelves: ladies-of-horror, horror

Sawkill Island is a secluded and exclusive community where the rich come to play. It is also where girls have a tendency to disappear and nothing seems to be done about it.

Marion is the new girl, Zoey is the outcast, and Val is the queen bee. Zoey knows something isn’t right on the island and she’s determined to figure it out. Val has a secret to keep, and Marion gets caught in the middle.

I loved the setting for this story—the island is a strange and alienating location that contains the story nicely. There are some great scenes of horror; Legrand isn’t afraid to take it all the way, and I was surprised by how dark this YA book got.

I also enjoyed the diverse characters. There is a really lovely burgeoning relationship between two girls as well as a frankness about sex that I found refreshing and honest.

For me, I think the book would have been more successful if it was third person singular instead of plural. Much of what’s interesting about the story is given away early on, leaving only a reveal at the climax that was not as important to the story and felt tacked on. I did end up skimming the last quarter of the book a bit because the ending felt inevitable to me and I just didn’t feel compelled by the story.

I could have also done without the asides from the island (the Rock) itself—they were so few and far between they knocked me out of the story, and they never offered anything new to the story.

Overall, I think this is a unique idea and a great example of the daring and dark places that YA horror is going. For me, it was a bit longwinded, and I would have been more captured by a more concise and tightly plotted narrative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sawkill Girls.

February 10, 2020 – Started Reading