Danielle Delahunty's Reviews > Frog and Toad Together

Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel

Apr 25, 2012

Folks, you can't have a gift better than this or any book by Lobel, and I will tell you why.

First, I want to direct your attention to the fact that this is a level reader. Frog and Toad was written for, or is in language deemed perfect for, kids attempting to read on their own for the first time.

There is criteria for a level reader: It has to have words on the approved list for whatever level, this one I believe is for first grade, and it has to be G-rated. You could literally pick vocabulary off of the level list and use the words loosely together, and you could publish a level reader.
Thousands have done this.

What Arnold Lobel did, was to write some of the deepest most meaningful plot lines in the history of children's books and they ALL adhere to level vocabulary.

His books and this one being one of his best, are like the Haikus of level readers. Somehow Lobel conveyed, love, friendship and and an array of manners in limited vocabulary.

In my favorite story, Frog and Toad make and eat too many cookies. To curb their intentions at the insistence of Frog, they tie them up in a box, put the box on a shelf, and even eventually throw the cookies to the birds. Frog points out that the two are learning will power. After almost losing their lives to the birds in order to learn what will power is, Toad walks away grumpily. "You can keep it all, I'm going home now to bake a cake!"

Lobel could have been half as lazy and sold just as much, but he has TONS of books that are all clever and amazing. Stuff Dick and Jane, and buy Lobel, because when an I Can Read author is a best seller, you know you have something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frog and Toad Together.

Finished Reading