Sebrina 's Reviews > Chopsticks

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony

it was ok

I've always love mixed media novels like Cathy's Book or Hugo that tell unique captivating stories through pictures and hidden clues. While Chopsticks excelled in the visual department, the story felt lacking. Truth be told though, the more I think about it after reading, the more sense it makes.

The main problem I think Chopsticks suffers from is that it takes for granted what can be inferred visually. This is a case where "a picture is worth a 1000 words" doesn't hold true. And that's pretty much evident from all the conflicting interpretations found on GoodReads.

I kinda feel like the author & illustrator used the intro statement of "We must decide what is real, what is imagined, and what has been madness all along" as a copout to mask that they have constructed a completely incoherent story. Books are a medium where inference is hard and sometimes fewer words are not better.

Now normally I don't try to divulge too much of the books I read but in this case, I feel like I need to explain my interpretation of this story.
(view spoiler)

Even after all that, this book left me very dissatisfied. I feel like it could have done so much more in clearly telling its story. Maybe the app or movie will be better. I do not know. But for me the only "haunting" it will be doing is in how incomplete it felt. Fortunately, it's only an hour read if you want to give it a try. But if you want a truly haunting story with amazing writing, read Meg Rosoff's How I Live Now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chopsticks.

April 24, 2012 – Shelved
April 25, 2012 – Started Reading
April 25, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Robert Davis Did you understand the ending? Was it a twist? I was left wondering if Frank was merely an invention of Glory's imagination because of the art left in her room after she had disappeared. What did you think?

Tracy Oh wow. I never even considered this ending, that she could have killed herself. It sort of makes me like and hate the book even more in the confusing way it has left me feeling about it.

Stef Thank you so much for this review/explanation! I intend to reread the story more closely now.