Booknut's Reviews > The Killables

The Killables by Gemma Malley

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: dystopian, major-fangirling-in-progress
Read from April 24 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

This. Book. Was. Amazing! The Killables, a definite must-read by Gemma Malley, came into my possession on one of my frequent trips to buy out my local Dymocks. I was searching the shelves for something good to read when BAM. There it was. I had read the Declaration, and loved it, and I was intrigued by the blurb so I decided to give it a try.

An excellent Dystopian novel. Evie's struggle for understanding - to come to terms with whether or not the laws and regulations of the society she has known her whole life, and the society itself, are truly as 'good' as they make out to be. She seems to be in a state of semi-conciousness. She KNOWS that something is off about what is happening, but she has been conditioned to ignore that feeling and to doubt herself. She gets angry at her parents? Must be evil inclinations and she should repent and try harder. Having bad dreams? It is her fault because she refuses to try and be good and she is evil. It is a tiring life Evie lives and you empathise with her. You want to shake her and show her the truth.

My crash-course on The Killables:
- Evie lives in 'the City' where the Goods live.
- Goods are people who are not evil, but have the capacity to be 'tempted' towards evil
- Outside the City live the Evils
- They are evil and long to lead the Goods to the 'dark side' (sorry...a little too Star War-sy, perhaps?!)
- The Good's society is strict, regulated and stifling. People are graded - A, B and C being acceptable. D means you are in Danger of becoming an Evil.
- Evie longs to come to terms with how she feels about her Society.
- She keeps having weird dreams about being carried to safety by a man and a woman
- She is to be engaged to a boy who has the emotions of a Siberian wasteland and whom she does not love
- She is in love with that boy's brother who is trying to find a means of escape
- The City has eyes everywhere. No one is safe. It is all-knowing.
- There is a final grade. K. It stands for Evils, so they are told. Evils are given a New Baptism, to help them become good again. But really, K stands for Killable. Which means, they are to be killed without a moment's hesitation.

It really makes us ask ourselves whether our identity is with our society and the environment we grow up in or whether we ourselves have to break away from the norm and discover our own identity. Oh, and I loved Raphael. And Lucas. Though personally I couldn't pick between the two if my life depended on it. It would be like choosing between books or chocolate...you just don't go there!:D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killables.

Quotes Booknut Liked

Gemma Malley
“Imagination shows an ability to lie, to pretend the world is different than it is.”
Gemma Malley, The Killables

04/24/2012 page 23
04/25/2012 page 100
26.0% "THIS BOOK IS INSANELY BRILLIANT. The plot, the ideas - I am especially impressed with the heroine of the story. She battles with the idea that the principles her society has pressed upon her are incorrect. Which brings about the question: if you never knew any other society/life but the one you had, could you tell if it was wrong or not? The whole idea of 'Killables' is stellar. A MUST read for everyone!!!"
04/15/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Zohal I can't choose between Raffy and Lucas either.

Booknut Isabelle wrote: "I can't choose between Raffy and Lucas either."

Ikr?! Tough, tough decision!