Trevor's Reviews > I Don't Want to Be a Frog

I Don't Want to Be a Frog by Dev Petty

bookshelves: etec545class2

In Dev Petty's I Don't Want to Be a Frog, a frog laments the fact that he is too slimy, filled with bugs, wet, and aspires to be a pig or a rabbit. He can hop like a rabbit and will settle to eat garbage like a pig...anything, but being a frog. However, once a hungry wolf appears yet proclaims he'll eat anything but frogs, the main character decides it is not so bad to be a frog.

This story is a great starting reader or to be read aloud that can elicit an action (hopping like a frog/rabbit) or posing questions "Would you eat garbage?"

The illustrations by Mike Boldt are beautifully done in color with the animals presented having a cartoonish effect. However, there may be some confusion in reading with jumping back and forth between text and speech bubbles. I found that keeping track of which order to read the speech bubbles could be a bit confusing for those unsure of reading speech bubbles (which directions to go, whether to read all from one character than the other, etc.) This is a great book for those little ones who are unsure of themselves and comparing themselves to others and to be happy for what makes them, them.

Recommended for ages 3-8.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Want to Be a Frog.

February 10, 2020 – Shelved