D.K. Hundt's Reviews > Incident on Ten-Right Road: A Ryan DeMarco Mystery Series prequel novella - And other stories

Incident on Ten-Right Road by Randall Silvis

bookshelves: netgalley

INCIDENT ON TEN-RIGHT ROAD is the first book that I have read by Randall Silvis, which includes the title novella; the prequel to the Ryan DeMarco Mysteries – that takes place eight years before TWO DAYS GONE – the first novel in the series, and concludes with five short crime stories: ‘Watch and Listen,’ ‘A Little Rest,’ ‘Snap,’ ‘On the Verge,’ and ‘Sometimes the Abyss Winks at You.’

It isn’t often that I come across a collection of short stories wherein the tales have me glued to the pages, causing time and my surroundings to fade away blissfully. All the shorts in INCIDENT ON TEN-RIGHT ROAD hit the mark every time, making it difficult to pick a favorite.

The murder mystery novella,INCIDENT ON TEN RIGHT ROAD, is told from Detective Ryan Demarco’s perspective by way of interviews of suspects (in a Q and A format) followed by police report notes, a side seldom seen in by this reader of crime stories and a writing style I enjoyed.

‘Watch and Listen’ - A story of a grandfather who catches his grandson stealing an expensive watch from him and decides to beguile the impressionable fifteen-year-old with a story about his troubled youth so many years ago.

‘A Little Rest - A short-short revenge story (sorry, no spoilers)

‘Snap’ - A journalist’s life is turned upside down when he agrees to meet the fiancé of his old college roommate.

‘On the Verge’ and ‘Sometimes the Abyss Winks at You’ - if I had to pick - these two are probably my top favorites as they lean toward the macabre, and as a huge fan of Horror - I have only to say - Yes, Please!

As I mentioned above, INCIDENT ON TEN-RIGHT ROAD is the prequel novella in the Ryan DeMarco Mysteries, which includes five crime short stories. Next in the series is TWO DAYS GONE, followed by WALKING THE BONES, and A LONG WAY DOWN.

Yep, yet another book series to add to my list. Thankfully, much of my to-be-read list is on my Kindle; otherwise I think I would be buried alive by now, though I can’t think of a better way to go.

Thank you, NetGalley and Riverdale Avenue Books/Dagger Books, for loaning me an eBook of INCIDENT ON TEN-RIGHT ROAD in exchange for an honest review.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incident on Ten-Right Road.

February 9, 2020 – Shelved